xsl-list

[xsl] XSLT has raised bar for compiler writers (my ponderings ..)

2016-10-06 23:32:04
Dear all,
    I'm not sure, whether raising the bar is the right word in the title.
XSLT (1.0 upto 3.x inclusive) is a programming language, right? I thought
the process (design and implementation) of writing its compiler (from a
source code to result tree, and serialization) must be similar as for any
other language. But I've finally sort of concluded that this notion is not
true. First of all, XSLT is a functional language which makes the process
of writing its compiler different than procedural languages. XSLT also has
procedural elements, like loops (on the surface they're loops just like
loops in C / C++, but they're functional loops where iterations can happen
in parallel and results of iterations are merged in some order to produced
part of the result tree).

Given this characteristic of XSLT language, I'm amazed that the compiler of
XSLT language can be made for the full XSLT language, and have been made.
May be one day, I'd like to seriously venture into the filed of writing a
compiler for an XSLT language.

I hope this post makes sense (the subject and discussion).

with best regards,
Mukul gandhi