xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XML output ugly

2018-01-11 15:36:52
Aha!  Not on a Mac, but yes, it does seem to depend on what I’m using to
open/view the xml.

Viewed in plain old vanilla Notepad, it looks fine (no extra lines).
Viewed in Notepad++ it has the extra lines.

In MSWord, if I change the extension to *.txt to fool it and open it directly,
it looks fine.
(The *.txt extension does not fool Notepad++, however.  It still sees the extra
lines.)

If I open it in Notepad (no extra lines), copy it, and then paste it into
Notepad++ or into MSWord, the extra lines magically appear.
If I flip the switch in Word to show spaces, tabs, etc. I do in fact see two of
the ¶ ¶ symbol..
And yet if I then copy it out of Word and then paste it back into Notepad, the
extra lines magically disappear.

So, I guess this means it’s not really an XML question at all, it’s our ancient
enemy CR/LF.  Grrrr.

Thanks, everyone.

Michele

From: Rick Quatro rick(_at_)rickquatro(_dot_)com
[mailto:xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:50 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XML output ugly

Hi Michele,

Are you viewing the output on a Mac? I think Windows uses a carriage return +
line feed sequence (or vice versa), whereas the Mac just uses one of them.
There may be a line ending flag for xalan that you can set for Mac/Unix line
endings.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
rick(_at_)frameexpert(_dot_)com<mailto:rick(_at_)frameexpert(_dot_)com>
585-366-4017