xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook

2018-01-17 19:35:20
On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 00:30 +0000, Vasu Chakkera vasucv(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
wrote:
I came across a tool called Prince XML , which apparently works on
Jason/XML and converts it to PDF or HTML or any format using CSS .

I did not work on the publishing area for a while, but the last time
I did, we were working with docbook , DITA, topics and applying XSLTs
on the XMLS to generate XSL:FO documents for PDFs and XSLTs for HTMLS
.. are there any good arguments for one or the other ?

In general you will end up using XSLT either way. CSS is very limited
in terms of rearranging things and can't easily look at content, so you
can't e.g. colour all table cells red if the value is negative: you'd
have to have <td lass="negative"> or whatever, in the markup.

CSS is being actively developed and XSL:FO is not. On the other hand,
xslfo is more capable than css in a number of ways, so you might run
into things you can't do.

PrinceXML, AntennaHouse Formatter, PDFReactor and others can all take
XML or HTMl documents and CSS stylesheets and make PDF.

Are people still using the good old docbook XSLTs ?

Yes. You can format DocBook documents with either XSL-FO or CSS, and it
can be CSS for display or for print.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/