xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT function for title capitalization?

2018-04-10 00:55:59
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:22 AM, David Sewell dsewell(_at_)virginia(_dot_)edu <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Wondering if anyone has a serviceable function (preferably in XSLT 2/3 but
v1 is fine if it works) that takes a string as input and returns it with
title capitalization according to English-language editorial practice (for
example, Chicago Manual of Style).  So for example

A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ==> A Memorandum of Understanding

WHERE DID THE DRUIDS COME FROM? ==> Where Did the Druids Come From?

BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF [MR.] KITE ==> Being for the Benefit of [Mr.] Kite

Use case is, as you might guess, processing a lot of titles transcribed as
all caps, wanting to convert them to standard title case format.

It doesn't have to be perfect, just anything that will minimize the need
for hand-editing.

I'd find it easy to do, except for this

  BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF [MR.] KITE ==> Being for the Benefit of [Mr.]
Kite

I don't understand the generalized rule for [MR.], on the input. Do I've to
guess this (and also other ones like MRS. etc) before any kind of name, or
a problem something like that?

If David Carlisle's answer solves your problem, that'd would be great. If
not, and if you can answer my question, I can try solving this.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi