xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Breaking paragraphs one linebreaks

2019-05-09 18:40:52
Thank you so much for your suggestions, Martin.

In fact looking at the result of the three stylesheets I think the first
one is the one it serves my purposes better. Especially being able to match
an expression rather than a specific HTML or XML tag seems convenient.

The only thing that I would need to change is to handle punctuation
differently than tags. Tags (br, li, etc.) used as delimiters for splitting
can be eaten by the tokenizer, that's fine, but I would like to keep
punctuation. I'm trying with something like pre-processing the text before
applying the tokenizer, with something like:

<xsl:value-of select="replace(current(), '([.?!]\s)', '$1&lt;br&gt;')"/>

That would replace final punctuation with itself ($1) and a linebreak tag,
that the tokenizer will use as breaking point. Not sure where that would
go, though.

I have also looked at analyze-string but I think that would be more
complicated.

Some feedback about the other two options (using my full text):

The HTML parser would sound like a good idea in principle but the source
document contains some &lt; entities &gt; (that appear like <entities> in
the display) that just disappear, eg. "Dear &lt;school administrator&gt;"
becomes just "Dear "
https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/ej9EGcD/6

parse-xml-fragment fails with this error: Error executing XSLT at line 25 :
First argument to parse-xml-fragment() is not a well-formed and
namespace-well-formed XML fragment. XML parser reported:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId:
file:///C:/WINDOWS/SysWOW64/inetsrv/; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 27;
Attribute name "administrator" associated with an element type "school"
must be followed by the ' = ' character.
https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/ej9EGcD/5

Thanks!
Cheers, Manuel

Martin Honnen martin(_dot_)honnen(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>