xsl-list

Re: [xsl] accumulators and continuous numbering

2019-10-18 15:16:36
Yes, that's how accumulators work. To quote the spec:

Informally, an accumulator is evaluated by traversing a tree, as follows.

Each node is visited twice, once before processing its descendants, and once
after processing its descendants....

Before the traversal starts, a variable (called the accumulator variable) is
initialized to the value of the expression given as the initial-value
attribute....

Each node is labeled with a pre-descent value for the accumulator, which is the
value of the accumulator variable immediately after processing the first visit
to that node, and with a post-descent value for the accumulator, which is the
value of the accumulator variable immediately after processing the second visit.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 18 Oct 2019, at 20:08, Graydon graydon(_at_)marost(_dot_)ca

So I'm converting a bunch of OOXML into DITA using XSLT 3 in oXygen with Saxon
9.8.0.12 PE.

There's a requirement to use short (4 digit) unique identifiers for the
resuling files and for these to be unique across the content set.  There are
many resulting DITA files per source OOXML document.

"A chance to try accumulators!" I thought; I can pre-process the whole thing
with file numbers in attributes.  This isn't an attempt to use streaming; I've
got a few tens of MB of source.

The accumulator works, BUT the number sequence restarts if I try to use the
accumuator across a sequence of document nodes or a sequence of element nodes.

To produce a single continuous sequence of monotonically increasing integers
with the accumulator, I have to get the whole content set into the same tree
before creating the numbering attributes.

Is that the expected behaviour?

What I have defines the accumulator,

<xsl:accumulator as="xs:integer" initial-value="0" name="documentNumber">
 <xsl:accumulator-rule
   match="w:p[w:pPr/w:pStyle/@w:val = $listOfFileStyles]"
   select="$value + 1">
 </xsl:accumulator-rule>
</xsl:accumulator>

pulls the content set into a variable using the file and arch extensions:

<xsl:variable as="element(w:document)+" name="contentSet">
 <xsl:for-each select="$OOXMLsrc"> <!-- a sequence of path strings -->
   <xsl:sequence
     select="(file:path-to-uri(.) => file:read-binary() =>
arch:extract-text('word/document.xml') => parse-xml())/*" />
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

then applies the numbering template

<xsl:variable as="element(w:document)+" name="numberedSrc">
<xsl:apply-templates mode="fileNumber" select="$contentSet" />
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:mode name="fileNumber" on-no-match="shallow-copy" />

<xsl:template
              match="w:p[w:pPr/w:pStyle/@w:val = $listOfFileStyles]"
              mode="fileNumber" >
 <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="fileNumber" select="@*" />
      <xsl:attribute name="fileNumber"
select="accumulator-before('documentNumber') => format-number('0000')" />
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="fileNumber" select="node()" />
 </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

It works; the correct paragraphs are numbered.  But the sequence restarts for
each new member of the sequence.

If instead I use:

<xsl:variable as="element(bucket)+" name="contentSet">
 <bucket>
   <xsl:for-each select="$OOXMLsrc"> <!-- a sequence of path strings -->
     <xsl:sequence
       select="(file:path-to-uri(.) => file:read-binary() =>
arch:extract-text('word/document.xml') => parse-xml())/*"
        />
   </xsl:for-each>
 </bucket>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:variable as="element(bucket)" name="numberedSrc">
 <xsl:apply-templates mode="fileNumber" select="$contentSet" />
</xsl:variable>

I get one continous sequence of numbers.

Is there a better way to get the single continuous sequence of numbers?

Thanks!

-- Graydon