xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Need XPath 2.0 expression which returns a non-empty paragraph element that is preceded by a long uninterrupted series of empty paragraph elements

2019-11-25 14:07:59
One solution (not optimized for speed or brevity:

/*/p
        [normalize-space(translate(., '  ', ''))
        and
         (every $i in 1 to 20
            satisfies
               preceding-sibling::p[position() eq $i and
not(normalize-space(translate(., '  ', '')))]
          )
         ]

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 11:38 AM Costello, Roger L.
costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I want to know if an XHTML document contains a non-empty paragraph (p)
element that is preceded by a long, uninterrupted series of paragraph
elements, each containing just a non-blocking space character (decimal
160). Let's assume that "long" means 20. For example, here is an excerpt of
an XHTML document:

The query should return this:

because it is preceded by a long, uninterrupted series of paragraph
elements, each containing just a non-blocking space character.

Here's a query that returns the desired paragraph element:

//p[string-length(.) gt 1][count(preceding-sibling::p[. eq '&#160;']) ge
20]

However, if I insert a non-empty paragraph element in the middle of that
long series:

then my query erroneously returns the same paragraph element. That is, my
XPath query does not account for the requirement that the long series of
paragraph elements be uninterrupted. How to write an XPath 2.0 query for
this?

/Roger

--
Cheers,