xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Running the same transformation on many input files, optimisation possible?

2019-12-15 03:35:33
Am 15.12.2019 um 10:03 schrieb Trevor Nicholls
trevor(_at_)castingthevoid(_dot_)com:

An application I am working on contains a large number of source
documents which are all run through the same series of
transformations. While initially the build process didn't take long
the cost of repeatedly initialising the XSL processor soon adds up, so
I am looking at ways to streamline it.

Our processor of choice is Saxon (currently we are using 8.7.3) so I
can shift this question to the Saxon list if there are extensions
there that are relevant.

So the question; given a script that essentially includes the following:

cd documents

for d in `cat dlist`; do

  cd $d

  for f in `cat flist`; do

    java -jar $SAXONDIR/saxon8.jar  -o  $f.new.xml  $f.xml
 $SCRIPTDIR/transform.xsl  doc=$d  file=$f

  done

done

is there a mechanism which would allow a single Java process to
perform the equivalent?

Well, writing a Java program that compiles that stylesheet once and then
calls Saxon repeatedly should be possible.

I don't know details about that very old Java version but in XSLT 3 and
Saxon 9.9 I would think that using uri-collection("?select=*") would
also allow you to have the XSLT code read in the different files and
process them. There is also the fn:transform function that allows you to
run XSLT from inside XSLT.

XProc might also be an option.