xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT compiler written in XSLT?

2020-05-18 15:06:41
Finished, yes, but released no. Hopefully it will be out within a few weeks.

Actually the XSLT processing is done in XSLT, and the XPath processing in
Javascript. We know that parsing XPath using XSLT is possible, but we decided
not to do it that way this time around.

The most challenging part is probably the type checking. Choosing the right
data structures is critical. Compilers tend to be pipelines putting an
expression tree through a series of transformations, so representing the
expression tree in XML is the natural approach, but the problems are (a) making
small changes to a large tree is expensive, and (b) the attributes you can
store on the nodes of the tree are (in effect) limited to strings, and strings
aren't ideal for representing complex things such as types.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 18 May 2020, at 20:04, Dr. Roger L Costello costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org

Hi Folks,

I noticed in the 2019 XML Prague proceedings an article on implementing an
XSLT compiler in XSLT.

How's that going?

Is it finished? Is it released?

/Roger