xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Any difference between 1 div $x and math:pow($x, -1)?

2020-06-27 09:09:20
Roger L Costello costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> writes:
Hi Folks,

My XSLT program computes this expression many times for different values of
$x:

1 div (1 + math:exp(-$x))

Here is an equivalent expression:

math:pow(1 + math:exp(-$x), -1)

As David points out, they’re not strictly equivalent.

- produces more accurate results
- is faster

The best way to answer those questions is to run some experiments.

- is easier to understand, more intuitive

That’s going to depend on who’s looking at the code, I guess. If I think
about it, I can work out that math:pow($x, -1) is like 1/$x but this
many years removed from regular mathematical exercise, I have to think
about it for a moment.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw(_at_)nwalsh(_dot_)com>
https://nwalsh.com/

Everything has been said before, but since nobody every listens we have
to keep going back and beginning all over again.--André Gide