xsl-list

[xsl] Re: [Slightly Off Topic] mail server

2020-08-01 05:56:56
[new thread]

On 01/08/2020 07:54, Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit(_dot_)imsieke(_at_)le-tex(_dot_)de wrote:>
The background for the change in policy is here:
> https://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/xsl-list/archives/201404/msg00131.html

I remember reading it and being baffled that it was a solution.

> I don't know how other lists manage to continue distributing posts by
> original sender address while simultaneously preserving the messages
> from falling prey to spoof filters.

I run dozens of LISTSERV lists with hundreds of members on all kinds of mail servers, including Yahoo, Gmail, etc, and there doesn't *appear* to be any problem.

The From header contains the originator's address.
The Sender header contains the list address, per RFC2822 §3.6.2 “The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the message.” Reply-To is set to one or the other according to whether the list is a discussion list or an announcement list, but LISTSERV can also be set to honor an originator's specific Reply-To.

But I don't know if this satisfies Yahoo's requirements. There may be other factors at work in the list software used for xsl-list, like an inability to use the Sender header. One nice feature is that xsl-list preserves the originator's Organization header, which LISTSERV doesn't.

Peter