xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper

2020-09-28 16:34:23
Note that the original driving use case for The Wordinator was specifically to
generate DOCX files for use by people who want to use those DOCX files for
further editing (in particular, DOCX versions of codified municipal code used
as the input to code revision processes).

But the requirement was to have the DOCX look as much like the printed version
as reasonable, so Wordinator lets you use most Word features for layout,
including tables, embedded media, variable page layouts, running heads and
feet, etc.

As such it functions as an inexpensive way to get decent quality printable
versions of documents.

Of course, I would never present it as an alternative to a direct-to-PDF
lights-out composition process as other have described. In that context, I
agree with the general advice to use a CSS Paged Media solution (which the
client who drove The Wordinator also used for the same content).

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 9/28/20, 3:53 PM, "Eliot Kimber ekimber(_at_)contrext(_dot_)com"

     My Wordinator project (http://wordinator.org/) provides a general XML to
DOCX framework that uses the Apache POI library to generate full-featured Word
docs from a simple XML format that you can generate from whatever. I provide a
basic HTML transform as a starting point.
    Cheers,

    Eliot Kimber

    On Sep 24, 2020, at 2:57 AM, Manuel Souto Pico
terminolator(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

    Dear all,

    I would need to convert XML to something that has a fixed page layout ready
to print, like ODT/OOXML or PDF.

    I know OOXML is complex, but since the final document needs to be printed
and keep the same layout, probably HTML output is not good for this (I guess!).

    What I need at the moment is just a quick and dirty proof of concept to
show that this conversion is feasible and not too difficult, to show it to
decision makers (I'm not a XSLT developer myself).

    This is my input (sample):

    https://pastebin.com/sU77P7Bv

    And this would be my output:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IhjSfR_RHKZ_2HbMiepKP96aojyHofBc/view?usp=sharing

    My first thought was to unzip the ODT model I have, look at the content.xml
inside and then try to transform my XML into that same structure (as suggested
here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38298174/directly-convert-a-single-xml-file-to-docx).

    However, probably that's the hard way...

    I'm doing some research, any tips or pointers or advice or recommendation
or examples here would be highly appreciated. Is there any best practice to do
this? or a ready-made solution?

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers, Manuel

    XSL-List info and archive