xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Use XSLT to check a bunch of XHTML files for well-formedness?

2021-02-16 15:38:35
Roger — Do you need to know from XSLT, or is it sufficient to just know? I use
xm​lwf​ on the commandline almost daily. It is nearly instantaneous. Here it
processes all 830 TEI specification files (relatively small files, that is) in
< 0.04 s of real time:[1]

$ ls -1 *.xml | wc
    830     830   12112
$ time xmlwf *.xml

real 0m0.038s
user 0m0.027s
sys 0m0.011s
$

Here I deliberately introduce an ill-formedness and try again (just to prove it
is not a no-op 🙂):

$ echo "</duck>" >> xenoData.xml
$ time xmlwf *.xml
xenoData.xml:275:1: not well-formed (invalid token)

real 0m0.034s
user 0m0.034s
sys 0m0.000s
$

Notes
[1] That is literally less than a heartbeat, almost no matter how you define
one. Just the electrical signal for ventricular contraction alone in healthy
subjects is > 0.06 s, let alone atrial contraction or the time in between. (In
an unhealthy heart ventricular contraction may take over twice that long).
[2] I am not sure, but I think xmlwf is part of the expat package in Debian,
and probably other distros.