xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Value of variable not appearing in the <xsl:otherwise> of xml:choose

2021-09-22 12:46:12

Especially if you find Wendell's observation above covers your use
cases, it won't apply this time, but in general, I find that if I'm
struggling with xsl:for-each-group, I should -- and sometimes I even do!
-- remember that xsl:for-each-group is not fully general. There comes a
time to write one's own recursive grouping function for this particular
case.

I've found very few use cases that it doesn't cover, though XQuery windowing
offers a lot of options that xsl:for-each-group doesn't, and perhaps they're
useful to someone... Such as starting a new group whenever @x on the current
item is less than @x on the previous item. Sometimes you can handle these by
binding a variable to the items that match the condition, and then using this
variable in your group-starting pattern.

Michael Kay
Saxonica