xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Weird problem with doc()

2022-05-30 01:11:21
Thanks Graydon,

The external file looks like this, some ishfields have content, some don't.
FTITLE does have a string value.

    Mini test pub

    1
etc.

This code works fine outside of the DITA OT. I tried xsl:sequence instead of
xsl:value-of and it has the same weird behavior, it can access the file but
XPath has no effect.

By the way my markup did not come through, the code was xsl:message elements in
my original post below.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
Sent: May 29, 2022 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Weird problem with doc()

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 03:01:11AM -0000, Mark Giffin
m1879(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net scripsit:
Using XSLT 2.0, I'm using doc() to access data in an outside XML file.
This is running inside the DITA Open Toolkit, which is an Apache Ant
application. doc() accesses the whole file and displays the text
content of elements when I do this:

OUTSIDE FILE - select="doc('file:/C:/Users/mark/test
/publicationoutput.xml')"/>

This is expected. But when I add some XPath to get to certain data inside the
file like below, the output goes blank:

OUTSIDE FILE - /publicationoutput.xml')//ishfield[@name = 'FTITLE']"/>

The XPath is correct because I can run this exact code outside of the DITA
Open
Toolkit and it works as expected. I realize there is a lot going on inside the
DITA OT but I'm just curious what kind of thing could cause this strange
behavior of doc() being able to access the file, but failing with XPath. There
is no error reported.

You should be getting a text node with content formed from the string
values of the ishfield elements making up the sequence of ishfield
elements where the name attribute value is FTITLE separated by spaces.

Are you sure the ishfield elements have string values? (that is,
descendent text nodes?)

What happens when you replace value-of with sequence?

--
Graydon Saunders | graydonish(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
Þæs oferéode, ðisses swá mæg.