Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-10-19 13:23:48

Hector,

I do not recognize your expertise.  In part this is because I've been
working on email systems since 1981 or so and with Internet email since
1985 or so, and with IETF since 1990 or so, and I had never heard of you
until recently.  I generally do respect implementors, but I have never
heard of the implementations you profess to have worked on, so I have no
way to gauge their quality or significance.  I don't respect "commercial"
implementors more than "noncommercial" implementors.  A lot of commercial
software is garbage, a lot of noncommercial software is high quality.

We do not share the same goals for email.  That which you find
inherently desirable, I find dubious at best.

I believe your proposals will do harm and work poorly, and have been
demonstrated to do harm and work poorly on numerous occasions.

You have repeatedly failed to give consideration to points that others
have raised, and you have repeatedly failed to make points to support
your position other than "it works for me and my customers".  That's
fine but it might mean that your case is weak.

It appears that we have little (if any) common ground on which to base
a discussion.

Perhaps we are closed-minded.  Perhaps you are.  Perhaps we all are.
But continuing to repeat ourselves serves no useful purpose.