Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-10-26 15:05:30

>So what Martins draft needs to say is something like "If the scheme of the
>URI is 'http', then the entity that is returned SHOULD have the
>Content-Type message/rfc822". Then whatever system asked for the
>Archived-At object to be retrieved has a decent chance of being able to
>display and process it like an email.

I don't think my draft should say anything normatively about what
should come back. Saying that it should be message/rfc822 would be
against something like 100% of current practice and running code.

I strongly disagree. When a message is archived, it should be faithfully archived. Or a least, if a message is going to point to an archive of itself, it should be a faithful archive. Archives in other formats are less functional and often lose information as compared to the original.

Keith