Re: [Asrg] Let's try something different

2003-03-08 09:06:38
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Chris Lewis wrote:

Consider this, then, if _every_ mail system made use of open proxy
blacklists, and every mail system utilized a reasonably sane method of
back-notifying legit senders from these IPs of the blacklisting. [Hence,
for example, my posting of points for a BCP on filtering.]

Result?  Senders get their systems fixed ASAP, and things get delisted
in a timely fashion.  The FPs have been resolved.  Virtually no harm
done. The only ones left open are the ones not sending any legit email,
just spam.  Better accuracy.  Fewer spam sources.

I like DNS blacklists, I really do. I think they're the right thing to do
most of the time, when they are sane lists. My one big problem with them
is bounce messages - they suck. We need a friendlier bounce message system
than "MAILER-DAEMON" messages so my mum can understand why her email
didn't get through.

Matt.