Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Base: Upgrade indication and protection against downgrade attacks

2006-02-15 13:16:05

Hi Eric,

I agree that these are separable issues. Dave just followed up on
the sha1/sha256 point - other points I made were algorithm
independent, in particular I find it hard to see how to counter a
downgrade attack when we cannot negotiate and have to stick with
pkcs#1 signatures - but I would agree that the idea is worth
following up.

S.

Eric Allman wrote:
Stephen,

Although I have no objection to anything you say, I think you are missing the point. sha1 vs sha256 was just a placeholder; Mark could have said "AlgorithmA" vs "AlgorithmB". The point is how we can avoid downgrading attacks, not what we should do about the specific sha1 problem.

eric