Re: draft-delany-domainkeys-base-02.txt

2005-03-30 10:50:50

On Mar 30, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

it is probably worth distinguishing between a) behaviors that will cause problems with typical, current implementations, versus b) behaviors that cause problems inherently due to the design of the DNS. Caching problems
 well might be alleviated by different implementation schemes and/or
 different key/name administration.

Having to change the implementation is, of course, significant, but it is
quite different from breaking core service design limits.

I suspect the answer is C) none of the above. As for (A), I don't think too many implementations fall into this category, and the ones that do should probably be fixed for other reasons. As for (B), the trade off is increased cache size vs. increased query load; no amount of fiddling with the DNS specs is gonna get you around that.

None of this means we shouldn't move forward. We should probably note DNS load issues and cache sizes as an operational consideration and keep moving forward.

-andy