Re: What am I missing?

2005-07-06 20:11:52

On Jul 6, 2005, at 10:54 PM, domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
wrote:
What you're experiencing is a side-effect of the dig command. The actual TXT records do not contain the backslash, rather dig is inserting them because... well, I actually have no clue why it's inserting them as part of the render,
but it's probably an escape mechanism related to named config syntax.

Are you sure about that? I did ask a co-worker who writes DNS code about this, and he was quite skeptical about dig being the problem. Is there a bug report from ISC?

Try using a non-bind command to query the DNS and see what you get.

I have, and it shows up there too. But only 80% of the domains. I've traced through that code and don't see any place that would be doing this.

Of course, it is late and I could have missed something.

Right. You are probably actually experiencing folk who are putting wild-card
TXT entries in their zones.

That is exactly what is causing it. I was just thinking it would be nicer to simply look at the "v=dk1" in these cases instead of counting on a parsing error. Given the number of mistakes I'm seeing with lots of other records, this would be a nice-to-have until there is a dedicated RR.

-andy