RE: The cost of choices

2005-07-30 04:12:09

 My understanding of the process from the drafts is that if a message from an
 "alleged sender" in domain arvel.bbiw.net was received containing a valid

The term "sender" has become sufficiently ambiguous, so that I try to make
precise references, to avoid confusion.  I especially do not know what "alleged
sender" means.

Perhaps you mean that there is a disparity between the identity in the
rfc2822.sender header field (or perhaps the rfc2822.from field) and the dkim
signing identity?

To use the example from before, if arvel sends a message that has the signing
identity "arvel.bbiw.net" and an rfc2822.from field of
"dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net" then
it will validate only if bbiw.net authorized arvel.

This does not require an additional check on anything one might call "policy".

A problem arises if the signing identity has a completely different domain than
the rfc2822.from identity.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker