Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-3431bis-02.txt

2005-11-30 09:27:50

Barry Leiba wrote:

While it might be fine to recap some of the attributes of Sieve in an
introduction, listing some of the things that are not present in Sieve
potentially sets the document up to contradict other Sieve documents
should those things eventually appear.  E.g., the phrase "it has no
variables" will (hopefully) be false at some point, and there has been
talk of loops as well.  I still think it's best to leave those sorts
of things unsaid here.

I thought about that, actually, when I was editing it, and decided to
leave this in.  But if others agree, I'm happy to take it out.  It's
certainly true of the base Sieve, so I'm not worried about inaccuracy.
But it's true that there's not really a need to have a description of
what Sieve is here.
Speaking as a WG member, I would prefer if you delete everything after "Internet Messages Access Protocol (IMAP) servers" (section 2, paragraph 1, the last sentence):

  It is suitable for running on a mail server where users may
  not be allowed to execute arbitrary programs, such as on black box
  Internet Messages Access Protocol (IMAP) servers, as it has no
  variables, loops, nor the ability to shell out to external programs.