Replication / Re: Managesieve Reauthentification. Replication

2008-09-23 06:14:55

Hello,

As per various discussions I've addressed your concern differently: I've added a new UNAUTHENTICATE command/extension. It is in extension, because I don't believe any existing client or server would support the AUTHENTICATE command behavior you've suggested.

Excellent.

Replication:

Moreover, if a domain has several MX DNS records, all scripts among the mail servers shall be consistent to some extend. It would be useful if the managesieve servers can use managesieve as protocol for replication among each other. This could be achieved if the LISTSCRIPT command (or a new command) can provide a timestamp when the script was uploaded. And one more command shall allow the master user (the one that can authenticate with different usernames) to list all users who have uploaded scripts and the timestamp when the user last changed his script. Going a step furhter, during the replication one server shall be able to request the list of the users who changed their scripts only after a given timestamp.

Speaking as an individual WG participant: if you write down a proposal that includes ABNF, I would be happy to review it and to consider its inclusion into the ManageSieve document.

My suggestion is to extend the PUTSCRIPT and LISTSCRIPTS commands with one optional string paramter, conaining a RFC 2822 Date/Time parameter.

When provided as a paramter to the LISTSCRIPTS command, it lists all scripts, using URIs containing the owner, that can be accessed by the currently authorized user, which have been updated after that date. A URI containing no script name indicates that the name of default script has been changed after that date. The latter can be a result of doing RENAME on active script.

When this optional parameter is provided to the PUTSCRIPT command, and there is already a list with that name, the command will be successful only if the "old script" is older than the provided date.

Examples:

C: LISTSCRIPTS "Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:24:52 +0200"
S: sieve:///peter/main.siv
S: sieve:///peter/my.sieve
S: sieve:///sandra/example.int.siv0x007F;
S: sieve:///sandra/

This means that after 23 Sep 2008 11:24:52 Peter has changed his scripts main.siv and my.sieve, while Sandra has deleted her example.int.siv script, and has updated the name of her active script.

C: AUTHENTICATE [as peter]
C: PUTSCRIPT "main.siv" [content] "Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:24:52 +0200"
S: OK
C: PUTSCRIPT "main2.siv" [content] "Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:24:52 +0200"
S: NO main2.siv does not exist
C: PUTSCRIPT "my.siv" [content] "Tue, 23 Sep 2007 11:24:52 +0200"
S: NO my.siv was updated after  23 Sep 2007

If you are aware of standartized shorter form for Date (like 23.09.2008 11:24:52 +000) this can be used, instead of RFC 2822 Date/Time.

In case the this idea is welcomed, I would be glad to propose the text that fits into draft-martin-managesieve .

Със здраве,
        Дилян