Re: Semantics: per user policy

2004-05-08 10:37:37

I think he was, in his original message.  Let's take my address,
wfenner(_at_)att(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Whats wrong with "fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com"?

Indeed, that's the address that I prefer to use.  I guess this is another
example of the organization's lack of a universal policy.

Right now, there is no particular policy about outgoing mail.

In which case, it will be difficult to express it in a MARID assertion

Quite.  Obviously, the evolution has to be to create a policy, move
towards using it, and then move towards enforcing it with MARID.
However, bureaucracy being what it is, that may take time.

I don't know what proportion of Internet mail originates on systems with
the kind of problems outlined, with the poor prospects of fixing that you
suggest. I suspect it's lower than you might think.

Well, of the 3 large organizations for which I've worked that provide
a unified email service at their top-level domain, I think 3 of them
have similar problems.  I don't know if that means that I pick
dysfunctional organizations to work for or if that means it's higher
than you think.  =)

The question then becomes: how much of the costs of example.com's broken
bureaucracy do we shift to the rest of the MARID community?

Sure.  I was just trying to point out that Roy's scenario didn't
necessarily reduce to a previously excluded problem.  The cost
tradeoff is clearly up in the air.

  Bill