Re: Wild card MXes

2004-05-26 15:00:09

--Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> wrote:

On May 25, 2004, at 11:45 AM, Greg Connor wrote:

Right, the assumption here is that the "closest SOA" would be a
logical place to stick a "catchall" record, if you want one record to
cover all hosts in your domain or subdomain.

I don't think this would work with the example I gave because the
"closest SOA" would not be bigisp.com, though an iterative process might
eventually get there.

Agreed. In cases where you administer both bigisp.com and subdomain.bigisp.com, subdomain may have its own SOA. We could come up with a creative strategy for finding the next SOA and see if they are owned by the same people... but perhaps it's not too onerous to ask admins to publish one MARID record per SOA they have.

If you have multiple subdomains, and each one has a MARID record, most of those could be redirection-type records. This is probably still easier than having one MARID per A or MX.