Re: [openpgp] whitespace definitions in OpenPGP [was: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-01.txt]

2021-02-16 11:08:32
On Tue 2021-02-16 10:11:02 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 18:56, Daniel Kahn Gillmor said:

It seems clear to me that the text about whitespace that was merged into
-01 doesn't have WG consensus at the moment -- iiuc, it may address the

The problem with such minor changes is that they require extensive
interop tests.  Back when we started with OpenPGP we had to tweak these
things a lot until all 3 implementations were interoperable.

yep -- this is a great place to apply an interop test.

I note that there are some "linebreak normalization tests" at the tests
that use SOP:

   https://tests.sequoia-pgp.org/#Detached_signatures__Linebreak_normalization

this contains some un-colored rows where you can see incompatibility
between implementations, and where neither proposed text offers guidance
as to which should be preferred.

Anyone proposing a future textual change to try to improve the situation
should take a look at that list.  Proposals for additional cases to test
would also be useful.

If we really want to make the definition more strict, lets do this after
all chartered changes have been done.

I agree that solving this problem isn't higher urgency than the
chartered text, which is why i've proposed reverting to the text from
RFC 4880 and opened https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/issues/11
to track it in our backlog.  (i've tagged it with the "unchartered"
label as a reminder)

          --dkg