Re: [ietf-smtp] Idea: Two-Way Mail

2015-03-03 20:37:41
One of the key problems with white-listing email is that many security systems
(including web authentication systems) are layered on top of an email
introduction from a previously unknown sender. If I'm signing up for an account
on a web page and it sends me email to confirm I own the address I'm using,
that doesn't work with a white-listing mechanism.

Like it or not, email-without-introduction is mission critical to the Internet.
We just can't break that in general. So incompatible changes to the core
protocols don't make sense now.

But could we make incremental improvements or reduce the need for that? I think
so. If someone defined practices for a web browser to create a CardDAV/vCard
entry with appropriate attributes when creating an account, and perhaps a media
type or header to indicate a message is this sort of ownership confirmation
message then those messages could be processed automatically if correlated with
an approved CardDAV/vCard entry.

That's just an example. I think there is room for improvement, but it's going
to go a lot faster if done as extensions that can win if they're useful enough
to deploy. Perhaps we could allow some users (not sales people, however) to
migrate towards a whitelist-only model if we are successful enough at providing
better ways to solve introduction problems like the one I mention above. But
such a mechanism needs to be off-by-default to avoid inadvertently breaking all
the usually unnoticed critical functions layered on email.

Another big problem is that there are few people in the email industry with
spare cycles to work on significant standards. So someone with a lot of cycles
needs to lead the effort with deployable extensions that improve the situation
without breaking things.

                - Chris

--On February 25, 2015 16:35:33 +0100 Kai Engert <kaie(_at_)kuix(_dot_)de>