Cabling Question

2000-08-06 15:10:02
Need some input from experts on a simple question.

I have a home office with seven servers and desktop systems connected via coax
Ethernet -- BNC female end cables with T-connectors.  I want to change to Cat 5
cabling throughout (all my NICs support both BNC and RJ45 connections) except
that I have one coax run that goes through my ceiling and would be difficult to
replace.

Question:  is there an adapter that I could install on each end of the ceiling
run cable to convert it for use with RJ45 everywhere else?  Are Baluns adapters
intended for this purpose?  Will using the existing length of coax cable do
anything to overall net performance?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

JWT