Re: IPR and I-D boilerplate

2002-07-03 07:10:25
Keith Moore wrote:

it's really very simple: people posted I-Ds with the assurance that they
would be retired after six months.  it's not reasonable for IETF to
violate that assurance without permission.

Errr, people post IDs to publicly accessible mailing lists which are
being archived onto the Internet.

*some* people do that, and I wish they wouldn't.  they should just
post the I-D name and the abstract.  if we want to read the draft
we're perfectly capable of downloading it ourselves...

The question is how hard it is going to be for
folks to access them in the future, and whether it is useful for the
IETF as a whole to make sure that such access is simple for all.

yawn.  it's not as if this is a new discussion.  it's one thing
for the drafts to be available elsewhere, another thing for IETF
to go back on its word.  it's an integrity thing.

(granted, integrity is in short supply these days in many places)

so if IETF wants to make old drafts publically available (and I agree
this could be a useful thing), it really should get permission from the
authors. or at least notify them and give authors the chance to say
"please do not make my old documents publically accessible".

If you really think this is practical, then you should contact the nices
folks at Google and ask them to take down the Usenet archives

they'll happily remove your postings if you ask them to do so.
maybe the same thing, with adqeuate notice, would be okay for IETF
and old I-Ds.

the point being - sure it's useful to have thsoe drafts available,
but please take reasonable steps to protect authors' interests.
don't blindly assume that you have the right to ignore the original
terms of use.  that's just irresponsible.

it would also be reasonable to allow authors to specify, when submitting
a new I-D, whether the draft should be made available after expiration.

Sorry, I don't see this as being reasonable *or* practical.

if respecting the author's wishes isn't reasonable or practical,
it might be that you live in a pretty warped world.

respect for document authors' wishes, keeping one's word.
what strange concepts!

Keith