Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

2002-07-25 14:39:38
  - it uses DNS to gaurentee uniqueness

The DNS does not guarantee uniqueness outside of a TTL;
you need a timestamp to accomplish this.

  - next is a domain name in *small caps*

Do you mean lower-cased?

    - a standard httpish path per URI specification.

There are a lot of "does this match that" rat holes here.
as an example, are:

pkg://clarkevans.com./
and
pkg://clarkevans.com/

the same?  How about

pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type
and
pkg://clarkevans.com/data-typ%BC
or
pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type%bc

Saying something other than "httpish" may be useful here.

Examples:

   pkg://clarkevans.com
   pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type
   pkg://clarkevans.com/2002/my-data

The end goal is (a) to have a DNS based URN and (b) not have
this URN imply any sort of access mechanism (http,ftp,etc.)

For XML-DEV people...  What do you think?   Pretend for a moment that
this is 1997 and XML is just about to emerge.  Would something like this
have helped?   Please limit comments to what the URI change will impact,
not about general problems with XML namespaces and such soap boxes.
Ok.  Now, given today, if it took a while to catch on would it improve
the situation (mod other namespace problems)?  If not, why?

Anyway, if you are interested, I'm going to attempt to carry
out this conversation over on the ietf's discussion list at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/index.html
in a manner independent of XML.  I'll be observant of replys
to the xml-dev list, but I'm not at all interested in the
xml-namespace soapbox.  ;)

The URI mailing list may be a better home.

                                Ted Hardie