Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-03 09:24:14
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Vernon Schryver wrote:

I'm not arguing for IP addresses as security tokens.  I'm only pointing
out that issuing new identity cards to the usual suspects won't change
anything.  No IETF protocol can synthesize trust for organizations
that are not trustworthy.  Service providers that host spammers and
expect spam targets to deal with abuse will never be trustworthy.  Most
of the TBytes/day of spam comes from such providers, whether cable
modem outfits that turn blind eyes on "owned" boxes, free providers
whose penalty for abuse consists of making the spammer sign up for a
new drop box, or tier 1 providers that lie about the impossibility of
determining which of their resellers is hosting a spammer.

(the crowd goes wild).  Or at least it should.  Vernon speaks the truth,
and he's pointing out a fundamental flaw in the entire "consent"
approach.  We cannot now, nor will we be able to in the foreseeable
future, be able to extend meaningful trust to INDIVIDUALS on the
Internet, not when it is a large, dynamic entity that is intrinsically
anonymous at the human level (and often NEARLY anonymous at the network
protocol level where it isn't supposed to be!)  To mutilate a metaphor,
it is like extending trust on the basis of ethernet number on a non-flat
network, never mind that you don't SEE the ethernet number of the
originator -- but you can trust the number of the upstream router, can't
you? -- never mind that an ethernet number can be altered, never mind
that ethernet devices are cheap in any event.

What it is, you see, is getting even BIG organizations such as yahoo
that make money (as they see it) by providing loose unstructured
services prone to abuse and lose/spend money (no question) providing the
infrastructure and humans and tools required to properly police those
services.  They have real money at stake, investors to please, and a
need to keep their bar very low as they live or die by how many
"customers" they have for their "free" services.  Even requiring a
credit card or proof of some sort that you (as a potential client)
actually exist at all eliminates all the children in the world as well
as many (sensibly) paranoid adults who don't WANT to certify access to a
free service with a credit card or some other verifiable token like an
address and possibly expose themselves to still more unwanted contact,
identity theft, etc.

In fact, yahoo is in a lot of ways an archetype, a key problem that any
solution has to be able to manage. Will a proposed solution control spam
originating on yahoo and its even less reputable brethren?  If won't,
why bother?

"Consent" or "transitive trust" (or whatever it is that you want to call
whitelisting a class of traffic while blacklisting another with NO GREY
in between, since consent is a binary concept) of INDIVIDUALS is a
complete non-solution in the case of yahoo (not to mention all its
darkside kin).

Is it in any sense at all POSSIBLE to fractionate "consent" to email
traffic from WITHIN yahoo.com?  I don't think so, and I don't see how it
could be, given the ease with which anonymous yahoo accounts can be
created, used to spew spam, and destroyed.

Blacklisting yahoo.com across the entire Internet (even for a day), now,
that's a solution that would probably work to get them to clean up their
act, if "everybody" did it.  It would likely also serve as a salubrious
lesson to all the rest of the wicked blind-eye SPs.  A shunning, a
shunning...;-)

  rgb

--
Robert G. Brown                        http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305