Re: Categorization of TCP/IP service provision types (FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-00.txt)

2004-03-19 20:49:54
Hi, John,

I like the idea, and your draft is more than a skeleton plus examples.

There are a couple of concepts that could be added if you could come
up with non-perjorative names...

- "Filtered" actually splits into a few possibilities - the service
provider may actually be "filtering" known services, or may be using
NAT+ALG so that "unknown" services aren't available - not because the
service provider said "no", but because the service provider has to
actually do something to accommodate a new service.

- The client/server orientation doesn't explicitly handle peer-to-peer
connectivity (unless all the SIP clients have to be servers so they
can receive incoming phone calls). Saying "I want incoming phone
calls" is different from saying "I'm running my own mail server".

Spencer

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "Vernon Schryver"
<vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 1:26 PM
Subject: Categorization of TCP/IP service provision types (was: Re:
The right to refuse, was: Re: Principles of Spam-abatement) (FWD: I-D
ACTION:draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-00.txt)

Last week's version of the spam discussions, led to an
interesting (to me) side-discussion about what was, and was not,
an "Internet connection" service.  There have been discussions
on and off for years (since before the User Services area was
inactivated) about doing such a set of definitions.   On my
general theory that it is better to try to actually do something
than it is to discuss forever how desirable it might be, I've
hacked a preliminary document together and posted it as
draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-00.txt.

This clearly isn't finished, indeed, it is not much more than a
skeleton with a few examples.  It needs more work, probably
additional categories, and more clarity about the categories
that are there.  If there is real interest in the subject, I'd
like to see someone else take over the writing and editing.   If
there isn't any real, perhaps we can stop spending time
discussing the subject.

I-D announcement attached.

    john