Re: Categorization of TCP/IP service provision types (was: Re: The right to refuse, was: Re: Principles of Spam-abatement) (FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-00.txt)

2004-03-22 11:28:14

--On Friday, 19 March, 2004 18:34 -0700 Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: John C Klensin

Last week's version of the spam discussions, led to an
interesting (to me) side-discussion about what was, and was
not,  an "Internet connection" service.  ...

draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-00.txt.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-ip-service-t
erms-00.txt

This clearly isn't finished, indeed, it is not much more than
a  skeleton with a few examples.  It needs more work,
probably  additional categories, and more clarity about the
categories  that are there.

I think it is about as clear as it should be.  Much more
clearity would require sample contracts or risk getting bogged
down in nitpicking on whether it is practical to run an SMTP
server on a dynamic IP address, whether an IP address that
changes once a year is really dynamic, and so forth.

Those are the places where I clearly don't think we should go. To do so rapidly gets us, I think, to a function matrix. That would be conceptually useful, but would not be extremely unlikely to be adopted by vendors and hence would not help at all with the "promote truth in advertising" theme that started the attempt.

What I see missing are hints why "dynamic addresses" are widely
blacklisted.  There need to be words about the first three
classes usually being priced so low that providers cannot
afford to keep records of who was using a given address when
it was used to send spam, denial of service attacks, or other
naughtiness, or cannot afford to have abuse department to
consult any records there might be.

Text would be welcome, but it seems to me that this addresses a different theme. One could say that quality of customer service usually improves with categories, but that isn't universally true until one starts making categories of customer service efforts. From my experience, I would even question your description above, although we don't disagree about the consequences: my impression is that a number of the "broadband" operators offering low-end services actually have fairly good logs. What they don't have are abuse departments with the will and resources to dig through those logs and identify specific offenders. Hand that same provider a subpoena associated with, e.g., some clearly criminal behavior, and records seem to turn up in a lot of cases.

What I've done in response to several comments is to add text to the beginning of the terminology section that tries to make it clear that these definitions are about what the provider intends to offer. Whether the restrictions are imposed by AUP (or contractual terms and conditions) and whether technical means to enforce particular restrictions are effective on a particular day seems less important.

The "dynamic address" issue is, from that point of view, just a "technical means" to enforce (or just consistent with) an AUP or Ts and Cs. I.e., if one believes that blacklisting dynamic addresses is rational, then part of the reason for that isn't "too cheap" or the addresses themselves, it is that these dynamic addresses tend to show up only in "server prohibited" environments. Maybe it is equally rational to blacklist an address range on the theory that anything coming from that range is in violation of provider conditions of service and that one bad deed (violating AUPs or Ts and Cs) is as bad as another (demonstrated spamming). But I don't see a reasonable way to incorporate any of that reasoning (whether one agrees with it or not) into the document without generally weakening it. If you do, please suggest text.

                 If there is real interest in the subject,
                 I'd
like to see someone else take over the writing and editing.
If  there isn't any real, perhaps we can stop spending time
discussing the subject.

The subject is not going to do away as long as people think
they have a fundamental human right to do the equivalent of
moving to a cardboard box under a bridge and then demanding
banks and creditcard companies to see them as creditworthy as
their bourgeois neighbors.

Of course, that belief is not limited to the Internet... for better or worse.

If no one else will take the job and if there is any hope of
getting it past the IESG, I'll happily be your editor,
elaborator, or whatever.  My strengths don't include writing
intelligible English, but it needs doing.

Thanks. I've started a discussion with some selected ADs about what they want to do with this, if anything. My intent is to wait to see what they have to say. If they aren't interested, and interested in moving toward BCP, then the effort is, as far as I'm concerned, dead. If they want a WG, then the next real task is "charter". Otherwise... well, let's how they want to proceed.

And, as far as I can tell, you do intelligible English very well.

   john