Re: Another document series?

2004-11-30 11:01:13
"Michael" == Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> writes:

    Michael> It seems to me that neither ID status nor RFC status are
    Michael> appropriate for these documents.  The ID series is, by
    Michael> design, ephemeral and generally not citeable.  The RFC
    Michael> series is stable and citeable, but the lead time for
    Michael> introducing an RFC is somewhat north of 30 days or more.

    Michael> I hate to open Pandora's box, but what I think we need is
    Michael> a citable, stable document series that has a production
    Michael> lead time similar to that of the IDs.  I would probably
    Michael> limit this to the non-technical administrivia we've been
    Michael> recently inundated with.

    Michael> *sigh*

Please provide some justification.  You said that you needed these
things but you didn't really say why.

I also don't understand how this is any different than work that goes
on in a lot of protocol working groups.

I'm particularly confused about why we would have documents that we
neither want to be long-lived but that we cannot be bothered to
resubmit every six months.  If we want the document to be long-lived,
what is wrong with RFC publication?