IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

2004-12-12 17:12:33
Re:

ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate structures and programs to coordinate donations intended to support the work of the IETF, and these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and direct contributions to the work supported by IASA. Since ISOC will be the sole entity through whom donations may be made to the work of the IETF, ISOC shall ensure that those programs are not unduly restrictive. For the benefit of individuals, smaller organizations and countries with developing economies, ISOC shall maintain programs that allow for designated donations to the IETF."

Editors' note: Some have suggested we need explicit IETF consensus on the above. So if you do not agree, please speak up ASAP.

snip...

ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate such donations with the IASA. In-kind resources are owned by the ISOC on behalf of the IETF and shall be reported and accounted for in a manner that identifies them as such. Designated monetary donations shall be credited to the appropriate IASA account.

From ISOC's perspective, I would like to see the first paragraph above stop after ....unduly restrictive. The last sentence is unnecessarily restrictive and too proscriptive; and will significantly reduce needed flexibility. This also seems to go beyond the level of detail present in the rest of the document by trying to define operational procedures for ISOC's "daily business". This would also mean the first sentence in the following paragraph beginning: "ISOC shall create... " should also be deleted.

ISOC will, of course, work to ensure that all contributions are sought out, are appropriately recognized, and that barriers to donations are nonexistent. It is obviously in all our interests to do so. Managing a fundraising/recognition effort is complex and there are many sensitivities, it should be done carefully and with thought and as part of the organization's business and strategic context.

Regards,

Lynn