Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

2005-06-28 05:40:51
My personal opinion is that it's quite reasonable to require IESG approval of an IP-level option. IMHO the IESG should solicit public input before making such a decision, probably in the form of a Last Call. But the potential for harm is such that somebody needs to have the ability to say "no". Or to put it another way, IMHO we need both convincing evidence of technical soundness, ideally supported by analysis, and a compelling argument of benefit for the Internet community, to justify adding a new option to the IP layer. We already have too much variation in the operating environment from one network to another.

Keith