Re: Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-08-01 02:50:33
Scott,

I dunno.  I thought that some of the discussion has been about circulation of
folks in leadership positions. Some feel its good, some feel its bad.  Its not
strictly term-limits as in goverment posts, as quite many former IAB & IESG
members are extremely active in technical discussions, writing drafts, chairing
bofs & working groups.  In my experience, this is a really good thing.

I'm not entirely convinced that its important for IESG members to stay in a
position for a long time. I don't have a strong opinion, so I'm definately open
for discussion on this.

John L.

From: Scott W Brim <sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Date: 2005/08/01 Mon AM 11:50:31 EEST
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

Discussion has been couched in terms of whether term limits are a good
thing.  Really, what the discussion should be about is whether limits
on the NomCom are a good thing.

It's one thing to give the NomCom guidelines, it's another to
constrict them.  The NomCom is pivotal in IETF "governance" and is
also vulnerable to attacks.  The NomCom should be defended strongly
against people who don't like the way things are going in IETF
management.

Ideally, "term limits" should be ad hoc, per person, as needed.  If
you don't like the fact that some AD has been around forever, tell the
NomCom.  If you believe that competency in the job is just one
criterion, and that potential competency should be considered
important ... tell the NomCom.  That's what they are there for.  I'm
assuming you're already volunteering to be on it.

If there is justification for the "firing" of a long-time AD, well,
the AD probably should feel embarrassed.  Forcing *all* IESG or IAB
members out, even if doing so hurts the IETF and the Internet, to
avoid embarrassment of someone who shouldn't be there is just too
"politically correct".

Those who have left IESG/IAB positions and taken up others have done
so because they are capable and want to contribute.  The fact that
they can do so does not mean it is all right to force them out of
positions where they might be even better for the IETF.

As for learning the trade, I don't know.  IESG/IAB members could have
an "apprentice" program from their directorates etc., but as has been
said, there is nothing like actually being in it.  Certainly, forcing
people out at inappropriate times is way off the path of wisdom.

In summary, give guidelines and opinions to the NomCom but don't
restrict them unless they have too much power.

swb