Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-08-01 02:50:51
On 08/01/2005 11:24 AM, John Loughney allegedly wrote:
Scott,

I dunno.  I thought that some of the discussion has been about
circulation of folks in leadership positions. Some feel its good,
some feel its bad.  Its not strictly term-limits as in goverment
posts, as quite many former IAB & IESG members are extremely active
in technical discussions, writing drafts, chairing bofs & working
groups.  In my experience, this is a really good thing.

I'm not entirely convinced that its important for IESG members to
stay in a position for a long time. I don't have a strong opinion,
so I'm definately open for discussion on this.

I'm not saying it is, nor am I saying you shouldn't have circulation.
 I'm saying that institutionalizing this, bureaucratizing it, is a
mistake.  This has the same feel as the end-to-end argument.
Institutionalized, general-purpose rules will rarely meet the needs of
a particular situation.