Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-10 01:41:14
On 7-aug-2005, at 1:07, Brian Rosen wrote:

I notice that we have stopped being interested in running code.

I think that is to our community's detriment.

[...]

Probably more importantly, I think we should be VERY suspicious of new,
complex specifications before we have running code.

I've been thinking about this on and off for a day, and I'm not convinced that having running code at the time a specification is first fleshed out would be all that helpful.

Can you point to any instance in recent IETF history (after 1995 or 2000 or so) where having having running code early in the process would have made for a better _designed_ protocol?

Sure, trying to implement something brings out bugs in the specification, but those are usually relatively minor things that don't go to the design of the protocol. And wide deployment generally shows that a protocol could have been better in one regard or another, and that some parts of it don't turn out to be useful in practice.

However, waiting for implementations on account of the former only delays having a fixed spec even longer (we already see protocols _deployed_ before there is an RFC, which is very harmful IMO) while waiting for the latter leads to insanity such as RFC 1771 being stuck at "draft standard" even though it has dozens of interoperable implementations, a decade of operational experience and there wouldn't be an internet without it.