Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-10 02:19:06

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> writes:

Sure, trying to implement something brings out bugs in the
specification, but those are usually relatively minor things that
don't go to the design of the protocol. And wide deployment generally
shows that a protocol could have been better in one regard or
another, and that some parts of it don't turn out to be useful in
practice.

I don't agree, several IETF protocols that I've implemented while still
drafts have had major design changes done them because of an implementation
exposed serious flaws in them (secsh-gss, pk-init).

There are also specifications that would have been good to have
implementations before leaving the WG, because they are not
implemented-able as is (spkm).

Love