Re: Question about the Neustar logo on www.ietf.org

2006-01-02 13:22:54
--On Monday, 02 January, 2006 17:07 +0100 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On mandag, januar 02, 2006 16:25:59 +0200 John Loughney
<john(_dot_)loughney(_at_)kolumbus(_dot_)fi> wrote:

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, when browsing www.ietf.org, I noticed
that the Neustar logo on www.ietf.org is larger than the
ISOC logo.  Any particular reason why?  It just kind of
jumps out at you ....

They seem to have it in place of the word "Neustar".... CNRI
used to  have their name there, and no logo. CNRI's had its
name there at least  since 1996, so it's kind of traditional
to name the operator.

It's traditional, and I think fair. I'll ask the IAD to see if
we can get the scale adjusted.

Well, being very reluctant to get the IETF involved with
advertising any for-profit entity, I'm not sure it is fair.
More important,  I'd argue that the "traditional" part is
something we just got ourselves out of at great pain.  The CNRI/
Foretec logo belonged there as part of the general notion that
the secretariat was something that CNRI was supplying to the
IETF, not a set of services for which the IETF was contracting.
It went along with the notion of the secretariat being "hosted"
somewhere, rather than being an contractual activity for which
the IETF was paying.  Making that distinction, and obtaining the
control it implies, was arguably a significant part of the
motivation for the IASA.

In the present environment, there is, IMO, a significantly
stronger argument for adding logos for every company that is
supporting the IETF via significant earmarked contributions to
ISOC than there is for adding a logo for Neustar or any other
entity that is, in theory at least, providing a service to the
IETF for which the IETF/IASA are paying full value.   I don't
think we want all of those other logos either, and that suggests
that the home page should display only the IETF logo and perhaps
the ISOC one, but not those of any contractors the IASA should
happen to decide to hire.

    john