Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-11 16:01:23

on 2006-01-11 22:02 Bob Braden said the following:
  *> From: "Brian Rosen" <br(_at_)brianrosen(_dot_)net>
  *> To: "'Paul Hoffman'" <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>,
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
  *> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:13:35 -0500

  *>  The RFC editor has some problems which have not, to my knowledge,
  *> been     enumerated.
  *>

Your knowledge is apparently incomplete.  The RFC Editor has been
actively experimenting with using xml2rfc for publication, and we have
been passing our problems along to the tools team.  As we get more
experience, new ones show up.  There is not currently a version of
xml2rfc that meets our needs.  Some of our editors do the major
editing in XML, but they find it most efficient and effective to
switch to nroff for the final cleanup of the (ASCII) document format.

This must be a different tools team than the IETF Tools-team.  We've
not seen any such feedback.

Presumably you mean the xml2rfc maintainers?  Although in that case it's
a bit disappointing that this feedback then must have been passed along
in private, rather than on the xml2rfc mailing list - I've not noticed
such there.

It would have been instructive to see the feedback on the list in order
to better understand what would make things easier in the RFC editing
work.

        Henrik (for the Tools team)