Re: Questions for those in favor of PR-Actions in general

2006-01-25 22:24:07
Hi -

From: nick(_dot_)staff(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net
Sent: Jan 25, 2006 6:57 PM
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>,
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Questions for those in favor of PR-Actions in general
Claim:  The claim that all the good people will leave if the noise
level is too great and if stubborn people with limited technical ability
aren't banned.

A more accurate restatement is that some good people have
already left because participation in the IETF was sufficiently
unpleasant for them, and that other productive people are on the
verge of leaving for the same reason.

How much snake oil and vitriol one is willing to tolerate varies
with the individual and how much they're rewarded (in one
way or another) for spending time in this snake pit.

Question:  If that claim is accurate, then since there were no PR-Actions
for the first 20 years of the IETF one would have to assume that all
the good people left long ago (years and years) and the ones left
here now are the ones that drove the good engineers away?

I know first-hand of several very good engineers who have stopped
participating here, and have cited the level of nastiness as a key
motivating factor.   The question is of finding a balance between the
human need for civility, and our willingness to extract work from
the uncivil.

Randy