RE: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-12 18:58:39
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:47 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: Ted Hardie; Hollenbeck, Scott
Subject: Re: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

[snip]

ps. I happen to the the general topic of online identities is
rich with
opportunities to be productive and I am carefully offering no
comment about the
current proposal.  My immediate concern is that we know
better than to conduct
this sort of BOF in this sort of manner.

What sort of manner is that, Dave?  That's a serious question.  There is
an open mailing list on which discussion has been taking place since the
Vancouver meeting.  There is still a month to continue discussion before
Dallas.  If something is too broad or not clear, please share your
thoughts on the dix list so that appropriate changes can be considered.

For what it's worth, I consider shooting down an idea to be one
potential outcome of a successful BOF.  While the members of the list
appear to be reaching consensus on an approach, the rest of the
community might feel otherwise.  I can't judge community consensus by
watching the list discussions in isolation.  I approved this BOF to give
the rest of the IETF community a chance to see what's being considered.
If it's not ready for prime time, the proponents need to hear that --
but they need to have the chance to hear that opinion.

-Scott-