Re: Last Call: 'Experimental Procedure for Long Term Suspensions from Mailing Lists' to Experimental RFC

2006-02-16 06:38:28
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
I believe sending out a Last Call on this document is:

1) Premature. This version of the document has been with us for all of 10 days, and the previous version since January 24.

I think the spirit of RFC 3933 is to get things tried out quickly,
so I don't buy this. The community has been discussing related topics
in the recent past. Of course, if many comments come in during LC,
Sam would need to rethink.

2) Inappropriate. The IESG is in the midst of considering a very divisive issue that has to be decided using the current set of rules.

It will be decided according to current rules. We can surely separate
that from designing future rules.

3) Badly timed. This Last Call ends four days before the next IETF meeting begins.

Why is that a problem?

I urge the IESG to cancel the current Last Call, make the proposal a topic of the General Area open meeting in Dallas, and issue the Last Call after the Dallas meeting.

I have indeed reserved a slot in the open meeting, in case there are
open issues after the Last Call. And we always have the option of a
second Last Call, if the first one produces enough substantive comments
to need it.

    Brian

                       Harald Alvestrand