Re: Is round-trip time no longer a concern?

2006-02-20 12:29:21
Steve,

Dave, I tried to phrase my comment carefully. I wrote:

1. You succeeded.

2. For my own part, I had no doubt that your model of the world had something like the rules you listed.

3. My reason for citing your note was that the issue of expected usage environment is, I think, exactly what drives many people's design models and exactly what, I think, can be a strategic danger.

In other words, I view this issue as specifically what should be discussed as an essentially architectural topic, looking for consensus, guidelines, or the like.

It's acceptable, to me, to make an *engineering tradeoff* about how a
protocol design is balanced, if there's a natural operational environment.
What's not acceptable is to design it so that it *only* runs in one
environment or the other.

Over time, my experience has caused me to believe that protocols designed for the high vagaries of a WAN can usually be adapted to run well over a LAN. In considerable contrast, protocols designed for the high bandwidth and low latencies of a LAN are difficult or impossible to make work well over the vagaries of a WAN.

So while I agree with your basic view of engineering tradeoffs, I think that the topic is filled with dragons.

Worse, I believe that, as a community, we don't have much basis for considering the tradeoffs well. That is, as a community, I think we tend to lock ourselves into designing for only one expected environment and fail to incorporate your listed rules properly.

Indeed, that is what prompted my starting this thread. I think concern for protocol chatter is not high enough (ie, not as high as it used to be.)

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking