Re: Prague

2007-03-08 01:28:14
Hi janet, all,
Renting a car at the airport, and from an international rental car company, is straightforward. More expensive than in the US, though. I cannot advise the budget deals you may get from local companies or individuals. Also keep in mind:

a) cars of a given rental car class are smaller than in the US---much smaller---so go for full size minimum if you are 2+ people with suitcases. b) Stickshifts are still very common, especially for the smaller car classes. Make sure to rent an automatic, if you think you need it c) the Hilton is just outside the inner city and has ample hotel parking, so keeping the car there is not an issue. Forget about using the car in the inner city---no spots. But then, the inner city is extended walking distance. d) Driving in town is similar as in most other European major cities---US folks would consider it somewhat aggressive. But it's quite survivable. Once you leave the immediate vicinity of Prague, people drive fast, but safely, and there's not too much traffic. e) Buy all insurance you can---saves hassle and discussion time in case you have a fender bender.

And with respect to the horror stories re taxis:
I have had perhaps 10 taxi rides in the Prague vicinity over the last four years. In this, I had one incident where I driver attempted to grossly overcharge me. I was alone in the cab, but it had stopped at my destination, so I simply opened the door, put one foot out, and threatened to walk away. The reaction of the driver was to come down with the price, fast. I'm not a body builder or anything. This stands in contrast to an experience I had in NYC in the late 1980s, where I stupidly boarded a grey cab, and found myself and hour later in New Jersey, with no money and credit cards whatsoever, and the first-time-in-life experience of a gun near my head... So much about common sense when hiring cabs.

Finally, with respect to meeting venues. I think there's value in distinguishing Canada and the US. Meetings in Canada are typically a pleasant experience; decent folks at immigration, reasonable lines, reasonable hotel rates and restaurant prices, decent cabbies, ... I can't say all that for US meetings. And I carry a German passport. Colleagues of mine, who are very good technologists and would be an asset for IETF face to face discussions are not even considering attending US IETF meetings, because they are at the disadvantage of being born in a predominantly muslim country... So that would be a factor to consider as well.

Regards,
Stephan