Re: joining the IETF is luxury Re: 70th IETF - Registration

2007-09-07 06:52:40
Adrian Farrel wrote:
We shall see, but I don't know that putting up the price necessarily fixes the registration income issue. You only have to deter a relatively small proportion of attendees to wipe out the increase in charge.

I assume that the converse is also being applied: viz. cutting meeting costs. It's hard for us oiks to tell because we only see:
- registration fee
- breakfasts/cookies

Anyway, registration is still the smallest component of attendance for me. Hotel and travel are still bigger problems, and I continue to wonder whether we could increase attendance (and hence registration income) by facilitating cheaper accommodation and travel.

It is easy to rationalize away Yao's concerns, especially for old-timers.
The overall cost of meeting attendance keeps going up, and $700 to attend
the IETF is not a small amount of money.  Simple economics tells us that
the number of attendees will continue to go down, the higher the costs get.

One way to deal with the cost problem is to just ignore it, and focus instead
on making IETF week as valuable as possible for as many people as possible.
I think there has been a lot of progress in this area (Sunday tutorials,
Wednesday beer night, etc. ;-)

(I wonder how much the costs would go down if the meeting ended at 4PM Thursday
instead of noon on Friday, and there was only one plenary night on Wednesday.)

Cheers,
Adrian

Andy