OT: Document file names

2007-09-10 16:42:19
Wearing my co-author of the Tao of the IETF hat...

At 11:53 PM +0100 9/10/07, <michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> wrote:
Let me give you a short lesson from IETF 101.

Erm, no such document exists.

If the name of a draft contains ietf as the second component, or the
name of an IETF WG or the name of one of the IETF bodies (iab, irtf,
etc...) then it is a formal activity of the IETF.

True.

Otherwise it is not.

False. To be specific: true almost all the time, but not always. (And, yes, we muffed that in the Tao.) A draft with an indivual's name can be a WG document.

Further, a document that has the consensus of the IETF becomes a formal activity of the IETF standards process, even if it is an individual submission.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium